Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hinman Bigelow Letters: Infirmary (20 Jan 1919)

These letters were written on 20 January 1919. Hinman Bigelow has just seen Mercersburg Headmaster Dr. William Mann Irvine and has written to his mother to let her know about their discussion. The first letter, a postcard, was most likely written during his meeting with Dr. Irvine.


Dear Mother

I changed my mind about resigning since I was in to see Dr. Irvine. He took off the guard and let me make up the classes which I have already covered the work missed. So I will try to make good now that I have decided to stay. Write soon and give me the news.

Your son
"Ted"



Jan. 20th

Dear Mother,

Doctor Irvine has allowed me to make up the work at 50 cts a class and I missed twelve classes or $6.00 well you had better send me the $6 to make them up.

I have had some day today, I missed roll call and got up at 9.05 went to chapel, took my correct English exercise and then went out to drill. Well I drilled about half an hour and then I fainted and had to be hauled to my room. I went over to the infirmary and Doc. Nevin gave me some pills and excused me from classes and he is going to look me over and see just what is wrong with me.

My society fee is due and I need two dollars for that. Also my allowance is due yesterday!

Well mother dear I am fairly homesick and am getting more so every day! How are your card parties coming along? Also who is winning all the prizes?

Give my best regards to everyone including the Perisols.

Tell Miss Parsons I thank her very much for that white sweater and will send the picture soon as it is done.

Give my love to Marguerite Armstrong and Miss Milburn!

Well write soon!

Your loving son
"Ted" Bigelow


Click HERE for more Hinman Bigelow letters.

1 comment: