Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hinman Bigelow Letters: Miss Parsons (29 Jan 1919)

This letter was written on 29 January 1919. Hinman Bigelow writes to family friend, Miss Parsons, asking for help to purchase his little Ford Racer. Unfortunately for Hinman, instead of helping him, she forwarded his letter to his mother.

Jan 29th
Morning

Dear Miss Parsons,

I received the box of caramels and liked them very much, thanks to you! I am now enjoying them with several of the fellows.

Am enclosing several of my drawings of the Ford racer I wish to get. I will get it too if I have to sell everything I ever owned. It only costs $400 but I am finding it hard to get that much together but I will do so. Won't you help me some? It means everything to me and think of the good times I will have during the summer.

I am 19 years old this April 29th and you can get a license in Penn. at the age of 16 so I can easily procure that little article.

I know where I can get $100 of the $400 but unless Sister
[Jane Ashley Bigelow] and Aunt Hattie [Colson] help me some and you help me to an extent I don't know how I will get it but hope for the best. The old saying is, "where there is a will there's a way." Well tell Mother I said this and will get the car. I have a watch that will bring $20, a rug = $20, and some penants worth $10 also several other little items worth about $25, so you see I have prospects of succeeding if only you will help me. Won't you please Miss Parsons? You don't realize what it would mean to me.

Thanking you again for the candy and hoping to hear from you soon!

Your friend,
Ted Bigelow


Click HERE for more Hinman Bigelow letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment